This is just another reminder — since this is a new requirement and the ability to attend classes in Boston next semester is dependent on it — that you must get a flu shot (seasonal influenza vaccine) by December 31 if you will be on the Boston campus in the spring … and you must upload documentation into your student health portal.
The state of Massachusetts established this requirement in anticipation of flu season and the surge in COVID-19 cases happening simultaneously this fall and winter. During the pandemic, flu shots are especially critical to protect yourself and the overall population from respiratory illness, and to decrease the burden on the health care system.
- The requirement applies to all students under age 30 who will attend classes or activities on the Boston campus even once.
- You can get the flu shot in Massachusetts or elsewhere, but documentation must be uploaded into your student health portal.
- Nearby locations include the CVS at the corner of Boylston and Washington streets (next to the Chinatown T station) and Walgreens at 24 School Street. Make sure to ask for documentation!
- Use the Flu Vaccine Finder to find other locations near you.
- The Center for Health & Wellness will hold two more immunization clinics: Friday, November 20, from 1:00-3:00 pm, and Monday, November 23, from 5:30-7:00 pm. Limited spaces are available and pre-registration is required. Call 617-824-8666 to pre-register.
- If you already got your flu shot and did not get documentation, please contact the site where you received the shot and request documentation. Most places, including CVS and Walgreens, will be able to produce a written record of some sort for you. Note that if you received your shot at CVS or Walgreens, you may need to physically walk back to the site to request documentation.
- Requests for medical or religious exemptions can be submitted via the exemption form in your student health portal.
- The flu shot is a preventative health benefit covered by the Emerson-sponsored student health plan, for those students who are enrolled in it.
- You will be prevented from entering any Emerson building, including your residence hall, until the requirement is met.
Even if you won’t be on the Boston campus next semester, we strongly recommend that you get a flu shot to protect yourself and others, and to reduce the strain on our health care systems right now.
Thanks so much to everyone for paying attention to this important requirement and doing your part to keep yourselves and others safe this year.
Student Food Pantry Open November 18
Need to stock up on food stuffs before the campus closes? Emerson’s student food pantry in the Office of Student Success (Piano Row, second floor) will be open by appointment Wednesday, November 18, from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm. You can sign up at EmConnect.
They will also be accepting donations of unopened, unexpired, shelf-stable food and personal care items during the same timeframe. No appointment needed for drop-offs!
Vice President and Dean for Campus Life