The student selected to be the Class Speaker will have the privilege of delivering remarks on behalf of the Class of 2019 at Commencement on Sunday, May 12.
Eligible Students Must:
- Have graduated in December 2018 or be scheduled to graduate in May or August 2019;
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better;
- Be in good social standing; and
- Have submitted an Application to Graduate to the Registrar’s Office by the expressed deadline
- Five (5) minutes
- Focus should be on the graduating class, not on the speaker
- Inclusively reflective of the Emerson student experience
- Forward thinking (e.g. responsibilities as change agents or motivators of change)
- Incorporate a sense of school spirit/pride
- Touch on why the world needs Emersonians
Process and Timeline
For May 2019 and August 2019 graduates ONLY:
Go to http://ecampus.emerson.edu/programs, log in using your EC Username and Password, and click on the “Senior Speaker Application” link. If you do not meet the academic eligibility requirements (senior standing with a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA), you will not see the application. For more information you can log onto EmConnect.
For December 2018 graduates ONLY:
You may only submit your application via email. Instructions about the application process were sent to December graduates in a separate email.
For all graduates, regardless of your graduation date:
To be considered, you are required to submit an application and a comprehensive draft of your speech by 11:59 pm EST on Sunday, March 31.
During the week of April 1, selected students will be notified with details about presenting their speech in person. If any selected students are attending an external program, or graduated in December and are residing out of town, they will be allowed to submit their speeches electronically. The presentations will be evaluated by a panel comprised of:
- Two (2) members of the senior class
- Faculty members
- Members of the Student Affairs team
- Assistant VP for Student Affairs
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact Paula Mangiaratti at firstname.lastname@example.org or (617) 824-8640.