The Emerson women’s soccer team prevailed against Babson in the NEWMAC quarterfinal round on Tuesday. Photo/Emerson Channel Sports
By Nick Pezzillo
Junior Veronica Alberts‘ marker in the 18th minute was enough for the Emerson women’s soccer team to knock off the No. 6 Babson Beavers 1-0 in its first playoff win in the NEWMAC quarterfinal round on Tuesday, October 30.
Score: Emerson 1, Babson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (11-6-1, 7-3-1 NEWMAC); Babson Beavers (7-10-2, 4-7 NEWMAC)
Location: Rotch Field
Inside the Numbers
- Alberts netted Emerson’s goal with the assist credited to senior Jess Frost.
- Freshman keeper Megan Rose held Babson scoreless and came away with five stops on five shots on target.
- Julia Janikies, Emma Dineen, and Maggie McCabe all tallied two shots each, with Janikies’ shots both on goal.
- Babson goalie Kayla Salmon stopped three shots on target and allowed on goal on four total shots.
- Emerson and Babson shot an even 10-10, while the Beavers held the 4-2 corner kick advantage.
How it Happened
Just before the midway point of the opening half, Emerson was able to tack on the game’s first goal to give the hosts the 1-0 edge.
The play started when Frost carried a pass and sent the ball over the head of Alberts, who collected the ball in front of her before going one-on-one with Salmon and used her right foot to boot the ball into the back of the net.
Emerson was able to contain Babson through the remainder of regulation to hold on to the 1-0 triumph over the Beavers.
Emerson will face No. 2 Springfield College in the semifinal round on Thursday, November 1, 7:00 pm, at Springfield. Babson’s season has come to an end.
Stay Live with the Lions
Stay updated on the Emerson women’s soccer team and follow the Lions on Twitter: @emersonwsoccer, Instagram: @emersonwsoccer; and Facebook: Emerson College Women’s Soccer. Also be sure to tun in to Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!