Skip to content

Students can donate clothes at move-out

Emerson College is encouraging all students living in residence halls—who will begin to move out this week—to donate unwanted clothing, shoes, and bags that will be given to the organization Community Recycling.

Community Recycling resells clothing it collects to any place where affordable clothing is needed domestically and internationally, according to its website. This includes thrift stores in the United States or marketplaces in developing countries.

More than 70 percent of the world wears secondhand clothing, the organization said.

Emerson will receive 5 cents per pound of items it donates, and that money will then be donated to the St. Francis House homeless shelter on Boylston Street, according to Eric Van Vlandren, campus sustainability coordinator.

This initiative is being overseen by Sustainable Emerson, the Office of Housing and Residence Life, and Earth Emerson.

Instructions for Students

-Obtain large blue plastic bags from your resident assistant (RA), and notify him/her of your plan to donate.

-Place approved items into bags (see list of approved items below).

-Once you fill your blue bags, place them in the corner of your room.

-At your scheduled checkout time, your room should be completely empty with the exception of your blue bags.

Approved Donation Items

-Clothes (nothing wet or mildewed): Shirts, T-shirts, collared shirts, jeans, slacks, skirts, gloves, socks, undergarments, sweaters, light jackets, hooded sweatshirts, dresses, scarves, ties, suits, shorts, sweats, linens, towels, sheets, curtains, and blankets

-Shoes: All paired athletic shoes, dress shoes, casual shoes, sandals, clogs, work boots, dress boots, sneakers, heels, and flats. (Please do not include roller skates, roller blades, ski boots, heavy winter boots, flip-flops, slippers, or single shoes.)

-Bags/Belts: All usable handbags, purses, carry-on airline bags, backpacks, wallets, belts, messenger bags, clutches, baby bags, beach bags, briefcases, and change/coin purses. (All bags must be usable and fully functioning.)

Students with questions may contact their RA, residence director (RD), or the Office of Housing and Residence Life at

(Visited 164 times, 1 visits today)



Leave a Reply