- This event has passed.
Screening and Panel: ‘Mothership Connection: A Voyage into Afrofuturism’
October 29, 2019 @ 4:00 pm - 5:30 pmFree
Join us in a screening of the DUST animated series on Afrofuturism, followed by a panel discussion with:
- Sama’an Ashrawi, filmmaker, DUST Afrofuturism
- Stacey Robinson, assistant professor of graphic design, School of Art and Design, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; 2019-2020 Nasir Jones Hiphop Fellow, Harvard University
- Rae Shaw, assistant professor of screenwriting, Emerson Department of Visual Media Arts
- Wendy Walters, professor of African American literature, Emerson Department of Writing, Literature and Publishing
- Kim McLarin assistant professor, Emerson Department of Writing, Literature and Publishing
In a world where Hollywood historically excluded black characters from leading roles in science fiction films, black people have had to envision and ultimately create space for themselves above and beyond Earth’s atmosphere. In DUST’s original series, we celebrate a handful of those people, and encourage you to dive deeper into the Afrofuture.